JOB TITLE: Principal Embedded Software Engineer
REPORTING TO: Embedded software team leader
DIRECT REPORTS: N/A
The Principal Embedded Software Engineer is responsible for the decomposition of top level system or product requirements into an implementable software architecture. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer is responsible for software developments from preliminary specification to verified design running on the target hardware. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer provides expert knowledge of software design, test and certification. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer will also, in conjunction with the Software Engineering Manager, provide coaching, leadership and guidance to other Design Engineers.
- To use good engineering practice to produce embedded software for new, innovative and profitable products and solutions for the business.
- To support and enhance existing software in accordance with business and commercial requirements.
- To be responsible for defining requirements for a feature/bug fix up to full system level; design and document a solution that meets the requirements; and, implement, test and verify the design meets the requirements with supported test evidence.
- To write technical documentation including requirement specifications, test specification and functional description.
- Will be expected to take responsibility of multiple projects/work packages. This will involve scoping the task and defining resources together with estimated time scales. Project ownership will involve monitoring project progress and reporting to stake holders.
- To be knowledgeable of HENSOLT UK working polices and ensure they are followed throughout the team.
- To be responsible for building a software package for release; including: configuring the release, raising the appropriate documentation and chairing the release meeting.
- To be able to use test equipment such as: oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, signal generators, etc. to test hardware on the bench running your implemented embedded software and verify it operates as expected.
- Technical liaison within and outside HENSOLDT UK with customers, suppliers and collaborators on software related matters.
- Mentoring of junior members of the team and providing constructive feedback in code/document reviews.
- Travel within the UK & Germany may be required, and is considered an occasional feature of this role. Requests could be made at short notice.
- Any other tasks associated with this role.
- The jobholder will be expected to comply with any reasonable operational instruction or procedures relating to Company policies, reporting and controls. In particular, Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 provides a duty on every employee, while at work, to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work.
- It also places a duty on employees to cooperate with their employer so far as is necessary to enable their duties to be complied with including the appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Failure to comply with this duty may result in the Company invoking the disciplinary procedure.
- An excellent Masters or Bachelors Degree from a good university.
- 10 years or more experience working on embedded software designs.
- Proven track record of analysing system requirements at the highest level and decomposing them into a suitable implementation for a product.
- Proven track record of producing designs on time and within budget.
- Good command of written and verbal English.
- Experience working on Radar or related DSP applications desirable.
Back to the Job Board